A lot of people have asked us how we made the nautical knots (monkey knots) we used in the shoot we featured earlier today so today we’re going to show you how to make them!
We picked up some $2 jute rope from the hardware store but you can easily use a different type of rope if you’d like. You’ll need about 15 feet of rope for each knot.
1. Start by holding one end of the rope in the hand you’ll use to wrap the rope around. I’m right handed so I wrapped the rope around my left hand.
2. Start wrapping the rope around your hand.
3. Wrap the rope around your hand 5 times.
4. On the 5th wrap, thread the rope behind the loops.
5. Keep pulling until it’s tight and start wrapping the rope the other way around your hand.
6. Repeat 5 times.
7. Thread the rope through the knot and start wrapping around the first loops you created.
8. Repeat 5 times.
9. Thread the rope through the knot. You’ll have a ball but you’ll need to slowly start tightening. This might be good idea to add a rock or a marble to give the knot some weight.
10. Tie the ends together and you’re finished!
Want to see it in action?