This necklace is so adorable that it might look intimidating, but I promise, it’s easy. So easy that after I made the flowers on the first one too large, I went back and made a second one while watching old episodes Grey’s Anatomy on Netflix.
This is one of those great projects you can make months ahead of time for yourself or your bridesmaids. Or even for just yourself if you’re not a bride. You could even skip the necklace part and just make the fabric flowers.
- 1/2 yard of fabric (I used linen and taffeta but you could also use the same type of fabric in different colors)
- 1 piece of felt in a color similar to the fabric color
- Hot glue gun
- Chain (this one is from Michael’s)
1. Cut 5 small .75 to 1.5 inch wide circles out of the felt. I decided to vary my flower sizes a bit and made one larger flower and a couple smaller flowers. If you make a 1.5 inch wide flower, I would just make one and make it the “statement” flower.
2. Cut lots and lots of circles (the same sizes) out of your fabric. I probably used around 15 fabric circles for each flower because I wanted my flowers to be “full”.
3. Take one fabric circle and bunch it up a little bit.
4. Glue it down in the center of a felt circle. It might not stand up perfectly, but that’s okay, we’ll fix that in a minute.
5. Continue to bunch up fabric circles and glue them down on the felt. Try to keep them tight and work from the center outwards. I glued the circles to each other as I went along to keep them standing upright and I used the glue to bunch them up and manipulate them. It took me a couple of flowers to get the hang of this but it’s difficult to make these look bad.
6. Lay the flowers out in the arrangement you want on top of the chain.
7. Glue the back of the flower to the chain where you want it to be positioned and then add a little piece of felt to the back to hold it in place.